Job Title: Development Officer
The Development Officer will work with the Executive Director, Art Support and the chair of the fundraising committee to develop a strategic fundraising plan, while working on day to day activities that have been identified as critical, including but not limited to grant writing, donation stewardship and special events.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Plan fund development activities
- Collaborating with the Executive Director, Art Support and Artistic Director to create a strategic fund development plan which increases revenue to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Implement the fund development plans in accordance with ethical fundraising principles
- Monitor trends in the community or region and bring these trends to the attention of the Executive Director for discussion
Organize fund development activities
- Develop and manage timelines for various fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical fundraising processes are carried out in a timely manner
- Develop materials which reflect ethical fundraising practices
- Prepare and submit grant applications as outlined in the fund development plan to generate funds for the organization
- Assist in the planning and execution of special fundraising events as specified in the fund development plan to generate funds for the organization
- Identify and develop corporate, community and individual prospects for the organization’s fundraising priorities
- Oversee the administration of donor contact list and database
Volunteer resource management
- In consultation with the Executive Director, engage volunteers for special fund development projects using established volunteer management practices.
Manage fund development budget
- Develop and gain approval for an annual income and expenditure budget for the fund development program
- Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditures related to fundraising and the management of the fund development activities
Promote the organization’s fundraising objectives
- Foster an understanding of philanthropy within the organization
- Develop a comprehensive communications plan to promote the organization to its donors and maximize public awareness of the fundraising activities of the organization
- Work with the creative team in the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for development efforts
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization
- post-secondary degree/diploma in fundraising, volunteer management or arts administration and/or two to five year’s experienced related to development in the arts Knowledge, skills and abilities
- an understanding of not-for-profit organizations
- background in and/or appreciation of the arts
- knowledge of legislation affecting charities
- knowledge of special event planning and management
- knowledge of management of volunteer resources
- excellent written and oral communication skills
- excellent research skills
- excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and sustain appropriate relationships with donors and prospective donors as well as collaborative working relationships with colleagues
- excellent organization skills and attention to detail
Proficiency in the use of computer
- proficiency with Microsoft Office
- proficiency with Theatre Manager database an asset
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve the finances of the organization and to create new opportunities
- Behave Ethically: understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Preserve confidentiality: Respect personal privacy and confidentiality in information acquired by the organization.
- Focus on Donor Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of donors to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and to make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: To lead others by example, to achieve results that are in the best interests of the organization.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely, and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
- Two to five year’s experience related to development in the arts
- Office environment
- Flexibility with scheduling is required. Will be expected to attend openings, special events, etc.
Please reply stating salary range expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org