Seasonal: April – September
Direct report to Production Manager
- The Technical Director reports directly to the Production Manager and works in conjunction with the Creative team and Show Crew (IATSE 63). The Technical Director works with a great deal of independence, using their experience and judgement to perform a wide variety of technical duties related to the Production.
- Duties and Responsibilities: (Pre-Production, Production and Post-Production)
- Providing Technical expertise and consultation for the Production, by attending production meetings, costing Design elements (labour & materials), monitor set build (build to begin as per production calendar), and sourcing equipment and materials for all technical elements of the production.
- Working exclusively for Rainbow Stage on the timeline above as agreed between the Production Manager and Executive Director
- Available during the run of the show to problem solve and as a resource for technical emergencies which may arise during Run of the Show.
- Due to the requirements of this position hours of work will include, week days, evenings, and weekends. That said, where possible the work will be conducted during weekday hours 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- Coordinate and monitor: Set and Props construction, painting and installation. Provide set costing, ordering building materials, and oversees construction, transportation and installation of set/props to be built and used for the Production, as designed by the Set/Props Designer.
- The position requires good to excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Supervise, coordinate and facilitate the building and installation of required technical elements and the procurement of equipment and materials, while maintaining the integrity of the Set, Costume, Sound, Projections/Video and Lighting Designers, design concepts during the implementation, of design elements.
- Monitors and adheres to the budget for the Production. The TD will be provided with budgetary information pertaining to the production and is only responsible for those portions of the budget specifically agreed upon in discussions with the PM. All show budgetary line items for which the TD is responsible will be provided to the TD in a timely manner.
- Ensure that there are adequate stock, equipment and materials for Show Crew to perform their duties during set-up, run and strike.
- Provide expertise and consultation regarding technical questions and trouble shoot technical issues as necessary for set up, run and strike of the production as requested.
- Coordinate the return of technical materials borrowed, rented or found ideally in the week after the production has been struck and/or loaded out.
- Consult with visiting Designers and Technical personnel, on all production technical matters.
- The Technical Director may be required to consult on and/or be responsible for additional unforeseen tasks related to the Technical needs of the Production.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of Experience as a Technical Director
- Degree or Certificate in Technical and/or Design Theatre
- Ensures that all communications are as succinct as possible with all departments.
- Will have excellent communication skills and the ability to maintain a positive attitude in stressful situations
- Ensures that the Production Manager is updated as agreed and that any budget overruns are flagged, alternatively, cost savings are also flagged and brought to the PM’s attention
- Works with the PM and crew to bring to the Rainbow Stage patrons the best production values possible while working within the budget guidelines as agreed with the Executive Director
- All working files are saved under the S drive
Interested applications are asked to contact Julie Eccles firstname.lastname@example.org by February 10, 2017.
Please include resume, salary expectations.